Monday, March 24, 2014

Peace Isn't Just The Absence Of Conflict


Psalm 122:1-4 -  I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the LORD."  Our feet are standing in your gates, O Jerusalem.  Jerusalem is built like a city that is closely compacted together.  That is where the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD, to praise the name of the LORD according to the statute given to Israel.

 

David was giddy with excitement at the prospect of going to the Temple.  He could not contain the joy he felt as he looked around him and saw the other Israelites preparing to travel to Jerusalem to worship. He rejoiced….and praised God just for the opportunity to go to his house.

 

If we read just a bit further in this Psalm we find David asking the people to pray for peace….not just to be peacemakers. He asked them to pray for complete peace of soul and mind…not just for the absence of conflict.  He said in verses 6-8… “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: "May those who love you be secure.  May there be peace within your walls and security within your citadels."  For the sake of my brothers and friends, I will say, "Peace be within you."

 

This complete peace of mind and body and soul is the peace Paul talks about in Philippians 4:7… “ And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”  It is the peace that Jesus said he was leaving with every disciple in John 14:27…” Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

 

There it is…the answer to worldwide peace. Everyone must accept by faith the great peace of God the father....for peace comes from a deep faith in God. And once we find it…we must keep it…so we can keep God at the center of our lives. No wonder God gave us the great commission....we need to share this knowledge with everyone before he comes back.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that to find true peace for my heart and soul….I must simply trust you in faith.  Forgive me for the times that I have doubted…and questioned. Strengthen my faith this morning to trust you on the deepest level….so you can use me to tell others about your great love and perfect peace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment