Friday, March 7, 2014

Search....Search....And Search Some More


Psalm 105:1-5 -  Give thanks to the LORD and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.  Sing to him; yes, sing his praises. Tell everyone about his miracles.  Exult in his holy name; O worshipers of the LORD, rejoice!  Search for the LORD and for his strength, and keep on searching. Think of the wonderful works he has done, the miracles and the judgments he handed down,

 

David started out thanking God and proclaiming to anyone who was close enough to hear him that God was great. He told them to search for God…and keep on searching till they found him.  He told them to think about all the great things he had done to give them strength while they searched. Then he reminded them of the great history of their people…starting with the moment God made his great promise to Abraham…through the whole history of 1,000 generations of Israelites.

 

Their history is our history…it became our history the moment that Jesus offered salvation to all people with his great act of love on the cross.  I have no clue how many generations that is now…nor do I have a handle on the complete history of the miracles he has done for all the people of the world…but if it is anything close to the miracles that I have seen just in my small section of the world ….it would take volumes and volumes and more volumes to record it all on paper.

 

We need to be like that widow that searched her house for a lost coin in Luke 15.  She turned things upside down….and did not stop till she found it.  That chapter also records two other parables that Jesus used to tell us that we need to be willing to leave the familiar routines we have built for ourselves and go out and look for the lost.  If we do then we will experience the joy of that father…who watched his wayward son return home.  But we will only experience that joy if we keep searching for God…and never believe that we have found enough of him. That joy truly becomes complete as we begin to share our history of God with others. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I have not found all of you this morning.  Forgive me for ever thinking that I have enough of you in my life…and help me to begin a serious search for you once more. Don’t let me stop searching for you till I have found the joy that comes from serving you completely.  Give me opportunities to share what you have done in my life…so I can add to the great stories of what you did for the Israelites so long ago. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment