Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pray For Those That Hurt You


Psalm 109:1-4 -  O God, whom I praise, do not remain silent,  for wicked and deceitful men have opened their mouths against me; they have spoken against me with lying tongues.  With words of hatred they surround me; they attack me without cause.  In return for my friendship they accuse me, but I am a man of prayer.

 

David was very frustrated with someone he loved.  They were slandering and cursing him….accusing him of some wrong he did not deserve.  They were being very wicked in David’s eyes…and he had no power to stop them….so he turned to Godin prayer.

 

David’s plead to God is quite harsh to me.  I had trouble reading and agreeing with the things he asked God to do to his adversary.  But I was glad that David did not take matters into his own hands…and at least allowed God to have the final word.

 

David had seen God operate in some of the same ways he had prayed.  Perhaps in those days God had no other choice but to just purge evil from the world…however cruel it seems to me now. I am so glad that I live in the world after Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross changed the way God operates. I am sure that in the final judgment evil people will die….but those who accept his love… allow it to transform their lives.

 

The bottom line is that I must never take justice into my own hands…but always lift up my issues with unfair people to God…and let him handle it. I want to believe that he can change them…and then help me forgive…like Jesus forgave the ones who nailed him to that cross.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I must take all the injustice I see to you.  Help me to pray prayers of forgiveness and mercy.  Help me to see the good in those that hurt me…so you can multiply the good into a transformed life before it is too late. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment