Monday, March 3, 2014

Set Higher Goals...To LiveOnly For God


Psalm 101:1-3 -  A psalm of David. I will sing of your love and justice. I will praise you, LORD, with songs.  I will be careful to live a blameless life -- when will you come to my aid? I will lead a life of integrity in my own home.  I will refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar. I hate all crooked dealings; I will have nothing to do with them.

 

This is one of the many Psalms that David wrote. Perhaps written early in his reign as king….he spoke of the high ideals he had for his kingdom.  He knew he needed God’s help if he were to come anywhere close to modeling for his kingdom the kind of loving kindness and justice that God had given to him. 

 

He asked God to help him refrain from vile and vulgar things…and crooked dealings. I am pretty sure that includes the bad jokes and office humor I hear so often around me. I have two feet to walk away from them.  It also means we have to always guard against cheating the ones around us.  We can’t really do anything if we are the one getting cheated…except ask God to give us the ability to pray for them.

 

If we read a bit further…we can read the rest of the prayer  …requesting God’s help ….so he could refrain from selfishness….pride…..stay away from evil in general….and never to tolerate slander of any kind to the ones around him. It’s a great reminder to me…to be the same everywhere I go….and set higher goals for myself.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need your help to guard my heart against the things that keep me unfocused on you.  Help me to walk away from vulgar talk more often….speak up against slander…and set higher ideals for myself each day.  Show me how to quietly mediate more on the great scripture that helped you through your 40 days of temptations…that showed satan just who you wanted in control of your life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment