Thursday, May 1, 2014

24 Hours Of Opportunities


Proverbs 10:4-5 -  Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.  He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son.

 

Some of the Proverbs were not written by Solomon…but he valued the sayings of some of the people God had placed in his life….and collected …even compiled them to be read by others. Because they  seem random on the surface….we need to read carefully ….so we can glean the one or two verses that God can use to help us through the situation in life we find ourselves in at this season of our lives.

 

These two verses popped out at me last night.  It’s been one of those weeks….when I have let my mind work overtime….leaving some of the real work in my life undone.  I was very tired…eyes hard to keep open…but determined to read the whole chapter. My notes are scant….because it seemed I was reading random thoughts at first…but I somehow gleaned these two verses for the Life Application Commentary on the pages of my Dad’s Bible.

 

On top of my struggles to stay awake last night…I overslept this morning….literally turning the alarm off…and laying back down.  It was a miracle that God woke me back up at all.  He knew in my tired state of mind…I would need the words he had me note last night….not to be lazy….but call on him to give me the strength to keep going and try to be more diligent today.

 

 The words of the commentary said…..every day has 24 hours of opportunities.  Time is a gift that God gives us…and we should be very careful to use it wisely.  I thought of all those mornings that Jesus woke early to go pray…or left his disciples after a lengthy teaching session to spend time with his father….and was instantly convicted that I have not used the 24 hours of the last few days in the wisest way.

 

Father…thank you for waking me this morning…and thank you for helping me to write the important notes that would give me the strength to keep going this day.  Forgive me for the time I have not used so wisely…and help me to focus more intensely on you…so I can overhaul how I send my time each day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment