Sunday, May 18, 2014

Laziness IsOvercome By God's Strength


Proverbs 26:13-15 -   The lazy person is full of excuses, saying, "I can't go outside because there might be a lion on the road! Yes, I'm sure there's a lion out there!"  As a door turns back and forth on its hinges, so the lazy person turns over in bed.  Some people are so lazy that they won't lift a finger to feed themselves.

 

Proverbs 26 is just one more chapter of random bits of wisdom…from not honoring fools…to refraining from gossip.  But tucked into the middle is a warning to us about becoming lazy. It tells us not to make excuses….and make sure we get out of bed every day to take care of ourselves.

 

As I looked up the definition on the google….and read the entries of …resistance to work or to exerting energy ….disposed to idleness…..slow-moving; sluggish…..I had to admit a twinge of conviction. Technically…that is me …every morning….as I hit the snooze on my alarm.  But I think the warning here is for when laziness gets a bit more serious.

 

The Bible tells us work…for the harvest is ripe.  John 9:4 recorded the words of Jesus to the disciples…As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. He knew our human tendency is to say …I will take care of that tomorrow. He knew how we want to give in to the physical tiredness of our bodies.

 

That’s why he included scriptures like 2 Corinthinians 12:9 ….But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.   God knew we would need a multitude of reminders to let him be our strength when we felt like giving up.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to rely on you even more for courage and strength when I feel weak.  Help me to stop and ask you to give me the energy I need to keep going…even when I feel drained and empty. Thank you for that never ending well of living water that will always be there for me when I need it. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment