Friday, May 2, 2014

Words....Powerful Tools Of Love


Proverbs 11:9 –  Evil words destroy one's friends; wise discernment rescues the godly.

 

Carefully tucked into the collection of random wide sayings that Solomon compiled into this chapter was this verse….a powerful statement about the power of words. The wisdom he had been given from the Lord immediately recognized the truth of this statement.

 

Our words are powerful tools of encouragement…or a way to destroy the relationships meant to surround us with love.  There are many other times when Solomon will tuck a reminder of this into his book of Proverbs….over 20 verses to come will reiterate this truth.  And James 3:6 says…. “ And the tongue [is] a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.”

 

Instead of berating or belittling….judging or calling names…..we should be about encouraging one another with some of the great scriptures God planted throughout our Bible.  Perhaps the statement of hope in Isaiah 41:10… fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” ….could turn someone’s bleak ….dismal attitude into a more hopeful one.

 

I admit…..I needed this reminder to use positive words to build up people…and try not to be sucked into satan’s easier way of spouting out the negative that comes to my mind first.  Teaching these days gives me plenty of opportunities to judge…blame….berate….or tear down with my words. I guess I had better think twice before I say anything in my classroom in the future…so I can ask God to guide my tongue…so he can use me to help change attitudes instead of make them worse.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that every word that comes out of my mouth has the potential to help you change the hearts of the world.  Forgive me for the times that I have allowed my negative words to judge…blame….or even berate others.  Help me to bridle my tongue…so you can help me think about every word that I speak out loud….and make sure that it will build love into the people around me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment