Wednesday, May 14, 2014

God's Real Treasure Is In Our Hearts


Proverbs 23:4-5 - Don't weary yourself trying to get rich. Why waste your time? For riches can disappear as though they had the wings of a bird!

 

Solomon included in this chapter a warning about wanting too many material things.  He says the wise person does not spend his or her time collecting the money to buy things.  Then he reminds us that things disappear with time…sometimes as quickly as we have gained them.

 

We read in Matthew 6:20 the attitude we should have.  It says… “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.”  Luke 12:33-34 explains it better than I ….. “Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

 

Jesus knew that it was way too hard for us to balance our human need for things…and our love for him.  The more we have…the harder it is to keep our minds focused on the God who allows us to have anything. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that things should be the least important thoughts I have each day.  Forgive me for the times that I spent time and resources on things I wanted without asking you first.  Help me to spend more of my time and money helping others. Help me see the needs around me that I have the resources to fix. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment