Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Open ears...Close Mouth...Ready to Listen


Eccesiates 5:1-2 -  As you enter the house of God, keep your ears open and your mouth shut! Don't be a fool who doesn't realize that mindless offerings to God are evil.  And don't make rash promises to God, for he is in heaven, and you are only here on earth. So let your words be few.

 

Solomon’s words here direct our hearts and minds to the importance of our attitude when we enter a church to worship.  He tells us simply to keep our ears open and close our mouth. He tells us to be careful not to use that time bartering with God….but to seek his direction for our life by listening.

 

Solomon’s words seemed to jump right off the page …into my heart.  I had to admit quickly that I need some real work in this area….for I sure love to talk more than I listen. My mouth opens many times a day …just to utter something that randomly popped into my mind…realizing the moment I said it that It was just plain nonsense…or even downright inappropriate.

 

I needed Solomon’s words of wisdom to remind me that I need to keep my mouth shut …especially when I am in his presence. I need to adjust my attitude ….keep my ears and heart open for his direction…so I can be ready to act when I understand his words to me.  It makes so much sense that I could hear God easier if my mouth was closed and my mind was fixed on listening to just him.

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that I need to monitor my mouth more closely.  Forgive me for the times that I have let satan let me falsely think that I had anything important to add to a conversation…or just uttered something for the sake of joining in the crowd….or worse yet said something inappropriate because I thought it would be funny.  Help me to learn to close my mouth till you open it with wisdom like Solomon’s. Help me to listen more….fix my heart on you…so I can hear you tell me what to do clearly. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment