Friday, May 9, 2014

Decisions Need Time And Careful Study


Proverbs 18:13-17 -  He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.  The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit?  The heart of the prudent acquires knowledge, And the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.  A man's gift makes room for him, And brings him before great men.  The first one to plead his cause seems right, Until his neighbor comes and examines him.

 

Solomon grouped these verses together because they hold a great truth for those of us that seek to be wise. It is a threefold piece of advice …that helps us take our time in making decisions.  Knowing the facts…..staying open to other ideas…and making sure you understand both sides….gives you a full understanding of the decision and consequences of a decision you need to make.

 

It is a reminder to me to spend a great amount of time in prayer when making decisions…..even fasting for a time to focus more on what God might have to say. Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness….praying and seeking God’s plan for his life.  And he went off early in the morning and late at night to speak with God when he needed to be reminded why he was there in the first place.

 

It also reminds me to spend even more time in his word….so I can make sure that all my decisions follow the Biblical concepts he set down for us in the 66 chapters we call the Bible.  Study isn’t just a set time to read a few verses or chapters….it includes a time to understand the people....culture…and history of those who God chose to write it.  It includes careful; reflection of how to apply the concepts we read into our daily lives.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to slow down when making any decision.  I need to include all the facts…carefully consider your stand on the matter….and weigh the consequences of the two choices I could make. Forgive me for the times that I have made hasty decisions….and left you mostly out of the loop.  Help me to spend even more time in Bible study and prayer…so I will see your plan with the least amount of struggle.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment