Monday, May 5, 2014

Control Your Anger....Learn To Forgive


Proverbs 14:29 -  He who is slow to wrath has great understanding, But he who is impulsive exalts folly.

 

Solomon tucked into this chapter a short verse that cuts to the heart of our need to control our temper.  Unbridled it burns out of control causing division….pushes us into hasty decisions….and causes bitterness that is hard to erase. It must be a very important truth…for he tucks this concept into more than one proverb.

 

It speaks to our need to ask God for patience in all situations. James 1:19 says….This you know, my beloved brethren. But let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.  The mature Christian…the one who wants to refresh those around him with his wisdom….will be a great listener…speak only when he has thought carefully about what to say…and control his anger.

 

I admit that this is not always the easiest thing to do.  My temper burned out of control when my kids were young. I wish I had grasped this truth early enough in my Christian walk to model it a whole lot better for them. I am sure some of the whispers at ballparks were about the crazy lady who professed to be a Christian…but let her anger over calls be an embarrassment at times.

 

One of the keys to controlling our temper is found in mastering the concept of forgiveness.  Colossians 3:13 says…bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Forgiveness is a powerful tool of god once we have let him plant it in our heart.

 

Anger that is left unchecked causes us to want to take revenge. We become consumed with a need to ‘get someone back.’ But God has things under control…he has a plan for anything we see in the world that stirs anger in our heart. Romans 12:19 says….Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that anger is to be controlled. Forgive me for all those times that I have failed to bridle my anger…and let it slow down the growth of another Christian.  Help me to be a better listener…and bring my anger first to you….so you can help me see how and when to release it. Continue to teach me how to forgive…and let you handle the rest.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment