Monday, May 12, 2014

Avoid Shortcuts In Money Matters


Proverbs 21:5-7 - Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty. Wealth created by lying is a vanishing mist and a deadly trap.  Because the wicked refuse to do what is just, their violence boomerangs and destroys them.

 

These verses from chapter 21 speak to our need to live within our means.  Easy credit …and quick turnover loans…have placed a mentality of … ‘I want it now’…into our society.  If we can get a loan…then we are meant to have the car …or house….or new clothes…or technology. Even the great nation we live in in 3 trillion dollars in debt.

 

But Solomon warns us of the consequences of using these shortcuts to get what we want too quickly.  He tells us to plan for our future and save for what we think God wants us to have.  I admit it is a hard concept to digest…for it usually means waiting longer that our human hearts want to wait.

 

The upside to saving and waiting is that we spend a little more time asking God for his directions.  We spend a little more time in prayer asking God if what we want…is really what we need at that time. We spend a little less time worrying about job security or layoffs…cause we haven’t stretched ourselves to the limits of our check each month. And ….we have an emergency stash in savings that comes in handy when those unpredictable things happen to increase our bills.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to include you in every purchase…great or small. Forgive me for the times I bought what I thought I needed without asking you.  Help me to stop and pray and seek your counsel when I feel the desire to buy….and save of my income each month instead of seeking credit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment