Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Beware Of Idle Hands And Feet


Proverbs 22: 10-13 -  Throw out the mocker, and fighting, quarrels, and insults will disappear. Anyone who loves a pure heart and gracious speech is the king's friend. The LORD preserves knowledge, but he ruins the plans of the deceitful.  The lazy person is full of excuses, saying, "If I go outside, I might meet a lion in the street and be killed!"

 

Solomon gathers more wisdom for us in this chapter….from keeping our reputation pure to disciplining our children.  He tells us to run from people who make fun of others….and keep our hearts pure.  But the phrase that caught my attention was a warning about the dangers of laziness.

 

We all need a time of rest from time to time….even Jesus went off by himself to pray and rejuvenate his soul and physical body.  This warning is about becoming too accustomed to the vacation mode.  Hard work builds character….and a sense of responsibility. 

 

We are also called to help those that have difficulty working.  Perhaps an illness…a tragedy…or an accident have them unable to do what they normally do for themselves.  We are called to pitch in and do what we can to make sure that they can get back on their feet…supplying what they need in this time when they can’t do for themselves.

 

One other thought…I know I am guilty of…is wasting time. That is just one more way to be lazy. I spend too many hours playing games…or watching movies…or reading books…that I could be using to help others.  Time on Earth is shorter than it ever has been before. 

 

Father….thank you for the reminder to stay busy doing your work.  I need to work harder than I have ever worked before to spread your love and truth to the world. I need to help take care of others…and study…and pray more with the time I think is extra in my day.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment