Sunday, January 5, 2014

Anoint me With The Oil Of Joy


Psalm 45:1, 6-7 and 17  -  For the choir director: A psalm of the descendants of Korah, to be sung to the tune "Lilies." A love song. My heart overflows with a beautiful thought! I will recite a lovely poem to the king, for my tongue is like the pen of a skillful poet.

Your throne, O God, endures forever and ever. Your royal power is expressed in justice. You love what is right and hate what is wrong.

I will bring honor to your name in every generation. Therefore, the nations will praise you forever and ever.

 

Sometimes our heart is bursting with so much happiness and praise we can’t seem to find adequate words to describe our rapturous heart.  This poem was written for the King…but what is really cool is that its words also describe the love the writer had for God. The writer probably had no idea that his beautiful words would describe the Messiah to come.

 

So before their time were these words that they were quoted in Hebrews 1:8-9 …. “But to his Son he says, "Your throne, O God, endures forever and ever. Your royal power is expressed in righteousness. You love what is right and hate what is wrong. Therefore God, your God, has anointed you, pouring out the oil of joy on you more than on anyone else."

 

The oil of Joy…we think we need a large vial of it….but the truth is just a bit of God’s love explodes into to more than we need.  Proverbs 10:28 says we don’t even need a small vial…just the hope of a vial… “The hopes of the godly result in happiness, but the expectations of the wicked are all in vain.” And James 1:1-2 says we can find some of our joy in our troubles… Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy.  For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.”

 

I guess that is why the woman in John 12 and Luke 7 poured all the oil she had on Jesus’ feet that day.  It was all she had…Judas said at least a year’s wages….which for most of us would be way more than we are willing to part with in one session with Christ. But she anointed his feet to show her great love. I bet she walked out of that room on cloud 5,000,000….full of enough joy to last her the rest of her life.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I can find all the hope and joy I need by searching for you. Help me to find the words to express how thankful I am that you chose to die for my sins and save me from death.  Help me to remember the next time that I let satan convince me that I might be sad…that your joy is just a cry away.  You are always there ...waiting to pour out your love on me…so I can show the world the great things you have done for me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment