Friday, January 10, 2014

God Knows Your Heart


Psalm 50:16-20  - But to the wicked, God says: "What right have you to recite my laws or take my covenant on your lips?  You hate my instruction and cast my words behind you.  When you see a thief, you join with him; you throw in your lot with adulterers.  You use your mouth for evil and harness your tongue to deceit. You speak continually against your brother and slander your own mother's son.

 

The psalmist Asaph is talking about the person who says they believe in God…but hasn’t let their heart in on the commitment.  He is defining the hypocrite.  They sit in church and pray wonderful words of hope…they say they believe and follow the rules…but are the first to cast a stone and judge others.  They say they love God…but drop filthy language out of their mouths at the first sign of anger.

 

He is also talking about the Christian who has become so routine in his worship that it doesn’t change anything about his life anymore.  They never miss church….they tithe…they even give to some charities…but they give out of mere habit…and the church service never changes one thing about their life.

 

The first hypocrite was Cain. Genesis 4 describes a jealous brother who brought his offering of grains…because he had too…not because he wanted too.  His offering was an empty ritual…and God rejected it because he could see the heart that laid it on the altar. He became so bitter and enraged…so puffed up in is hypocrisy that he became the first murderer.

 

Asaph says that the Christian will be the first to be judged…we had better examine our hearts...and make sure we have an attitude like Able.  I admit that I am guilty….God is working on changing my attitude….helping me to shed the outer layer of selfishness I built up when I sat in church and thought I was better than others…simply because I went to church…or prayed to God. He is teaching me that he looks deep down in my heart…every time I write a check for my tithe…or some other offering he laid on my  heart…to make sure my motive is the pure love I have for God…not love of myself.  He wants me to do what I do out of love and obedience…instead of just routine and habits.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I must guard against hypocrisy.  Help me to keep my heart pure…and bring any offering to you with a heart of love and thanks.  Help me to shed the selfishness that builds up pride…and sometimes justifies doing things just because I can bend the rules to fit my situation.  Help me keep that pure heart in charge of what I say and do each day…so that every law I recite helps me become a better person…that shows your love to others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment