Thursday, January 30, 2014

Thank God In Advance


Psalm 70: 4-5 -  But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, "Let God be exalted!" Yet I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay.

 

Even in David’s most panicked times…he stopped and went to God in prayer.  The urgency of his need even seemed to intensify his reliance on the only one he knew could save him. He called out to God to help him….and begged him not to delay.

 

David also included in his prayer a statement of praise…thanking God in advance for what he knew God was going to do.  He wanted God to help him always be joyful…no matter what answer came to his prayer. He wanted to always say that God deserved to be exalted as the creator and sustainer of all his needs. He wanted everyone who trusted in God to always say…Let God be exalted.

 

I will admit...that I spend way more time asking God to help me…than I do thanking him and telling him how much I love him. If I follow David’s model here…and thank God in advance for his answers…then I can at least get my average 50/50…instead of the 10/90 it probably is now.

 

It is a great reminder to me…to always thank God in advance in my prayers.  I need to have the faith of David…to accept all his answers…yes…no...or wait… still rejoicing and praising  him for his continued love and mercy toward me. Deep in my heart I know that the times I have been the most joyful was when I was thanking God for something he did for me. It must have been the power that God gave me when I worshiped and praised him…that  carried me through whatever he had ask me to do.

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that I do not praise you enough for all that you do for me.  Help me to start all my prayers...thanking  you for something you have done for me….or just telling you how much I love you.  Thank you in advance for helping me to use the power of your great love to be more joyful and content.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment