Sunday, January 19, 2014

Save me….Protect Me…Preserve Me


 

Psalm 59:1-3 - Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God:  defend me from them that rise up against me.   Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, and save me from bloody men.   For, lo, they lie in wait for my soul:  the mighty are gathered against me;  not for my transgression, nor for my sin, O LORD. 

 

David was crying out to God for help. He was trying to understand why king Saul wasn’t in on his anointing as future king…he was struggling to understand why God was asking him to wait to become king. Hiding in a cave….running from men who wanted him dead…was probably not what he envisioned when Samuel pored oil on his head.

 

We all find ourselves in hard spots in life…..stuck between the promise we know in our heart that God has made to us…and the reality of the crazy life we are asked to endure sometimes. We almost always have to wait…and find our hearts crying out to God…asking him why our reality is so far from the vision we first had when we heard his promise.

 

David’s model gives us a way to hold on till God sees fit to reveal some of those answers. He cries out first for God to deliver him from the harshness of the reality around him. Then he calls for Gods great protection while he waits. He also asks God to preserve his mind and heart…till he can completely understand why God had asked him to endure such a different life than he had envisioned.

 

I love the last verse of this Psalm…It says… “Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing:  for God is my defence, and the God of my mercy.” It shows David’s great faith and complete trust in God.  No matter what he was being asked to endure…he stopped to say thank you…and sing a song o praise for what he knew was coming.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that life is not always going to be easy…but you will always be there to hold me up….defend me and save me in the end.  Give me the strength and love to have complete trust in you….no matter what you ask me to do.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment