Thursday, January 2, 2014

How Thirsty Are YOu?


Psalm 42:1-2 and 8 -  For the choir director: A psalm of the descendants of Korah. As the deer pants for streams of water, so I long for you, O God.  I thirst for God, the living God. When can I come and stand before him?

Through each day the LORD pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life.

 

One of the three basic things we need to survive is water. Our body craves this liquid…because it needs it to perform many of the basic functions that keep us alive. Water has no taste though…so many of us have developed a taste for other liquids…or we add favor to the water we do force ourselves to drink.

 

This son of Korah had the right idea. He knew that God was his sustainer…his water…and longed to spend time with him.  He thirsted for God the way we all should…he thirsted for the one that gave him life and poured daily love and blessings upon him.

 

It makes me feel guilty when I think about it that way. I can’t wait to grab a pop…or that cup of coffee in the morning…but am I as thirsty for God in my life.  Do I reach for God the way I devour that soda…or look forward to my time with him the way I do a meal out?

 

If we pant for him…thirst for him…he will pour out his blessings on us and sustain us like that water does our bodies.  God will sustain and nourish our spirit …and give us an ever deeper understanding of his love. He will help us to focus on what he can do for us…instead of what we cannot do for ourselves.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to spend more time with you…not just because I need to…but because I want to.  Help me develop a thirst for you that will keep me as near to you as I can get. Help me to use my time with you to listen and let you teach me your ways of love so I can be your hands and feet to others. Thank you for pouring out your blessings on me…help me to praise you constantly for all you have done. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment