Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Finf Joy In Helping Others


Psalm 41:1-3 -  For the choir director: A psalm of David. Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor. The LORD rescues them in times of trouble.  The LORD protects them and keeps them alive. He gives them prosperity and rescues them from their enemies.  The LORD nurses them when they are sick and eases their pain and discomfort.

 

David sure wasn’t talking about himself in this Psalm. He was rich in finances…family…wives…God had raised him to a level that most of us don’t see.  Yet he never forgot his humble beginnings as a shepherd….as the youngest of his family…he got the worst of the family jobs.

 

Perhaps he was thinking of his roots while hiding from Saul…or maybe one day he just happen to take a walk through the kingdom and notice that God had not blessed everyone like he had him. God must have brought Leviticus 19 to his heart…where God’s people had been told to leave some grain in the edges of the fields for the poor.   Or maybe it was Deuteronomy 15…where they were told to always be openhanded to the poor.

 

This Psalm is as much of a comfort and promise to those who are going through hard times…as it is a directive to those of us that God has blessed.  We are called to care for more than just our families…we are called to help anyone that crosses our path who needs the blessings God gave us to help them with. We are not to sit and wonder ‘IF’ we are to help…we are to jump at the chance to bless others…for that is what Jesus said in Matthew 25:37-40…."Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

 

Let’s go just one step more radical and listen to what he said more than once to those who sought to follow Jesus and walk completely with him. In Luke 12 and 14…and also in Mark 10 …Jesus’ own words tell us to sell all we have and give it to the poor.  His disciples dropped everything…left family… friends…. and careers to follow the Messiah. Jesus provided for them and they wanted for no need while they learned how to love firsthand….and how to give even their very life to save anyone who believed in the love God manifested in Jesus.

 

Even if you are not going to take this scripture literal…and sell everything you have …there is a least one possible New Year’s resolution for all of us. We could all find one way to pay forward at least one blessing God shared with us this year...for I am pretty sure we all know at least one person who could benefit if we left a corner of our own fields ungleaned. If you want to be even more serious…you could even sacrifice something big.  The Bible says your blessings will increase…cause God sees you being a good steward of what he gave you.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me once again that life is not all about me and my needs. Help me to truly grasp the deeper meaning of how I treat others around me…especially those that may need the resources you gave given me.  Open my eyes to the needs of others around me…and help me see ways that I can help others.  Show me how to bless them not just with words…but with the actions and things that you have placed in my hands to share with them. Show me which corners of my fields I should leave for them. Help me learn to live with less…so I can bless even more people around me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment