Friday, January 31, 2014

Stretch Who You Are In God


Psalm 71:14-17 -  But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.  My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure.  I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign LORD; I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone.  Since my youth, O God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.

 

The writer of this psalm had a great outlook on getting older.  No matter what…he was going to praise God.  He was even going to try to praise him more than he did the day before. He was so thankful for God’s consistent presence in his life …from his youth …to the point he found himself the day he wrote the psalm.

 

It is a reminder to me of how lucky I was to know who God was from day one.  My family was active in a church the day I was born…and my wonderful parents modeled for me every day just what living for Jesus meant.  As a teen I accepted Christ…and began the long journey that continues today. 

 

It is also a reminder to me that I am not to be the same Christian I was at 14. I am to ask God to sustain and even stretch my understanding of who he is…everyday…so that I can experience what the psalmist was talking about…and praise him more and more each day I know him.

 

Stretching who I am in God…means not being satisfied with the routines of the present.  I need to increase the time I spend in Bible study…prayer…and search for even more ways to tell others about the wonderful things he has done for me throughout my life.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am never to become complacent in my love for you.  I can always do more that the day before.  Help me to find even more time to study your great Bible…and increase my prayers to you.  Show me more ways to share the great love you have given to me with others around me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment