Saturday, January 11, 2014

Create ANew heart Within Me


Psalm 51: 10-13 -Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.  Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you.

 

It was one big ole mess.  Nathan had confronted David with his great sin….the adultery with Bathsheba…the baby they created in their sin…and the man he had killed to try and cover it up. David did what we all need to do when confronted with any sin others have brought to our attention. Whether it be a small lie we told…or full blown adultery…or even a crime that involves killing another…we need to confess that what we did was sinful…and repent with all our heart.

 

David wasn’t happy with just a confession that he had sinned.  He wanted that sin removed from his life…washed clean in the forgiveness of God. He knew the punishment of God fit the crime…and was willing to accept it as God’s discipline to help him get back on track. He wanted God to cleanse his heart too…so the bad thoughts that caused him to sin in the first place…wouldn’t reappear and cause a repeat performance.

 

True repentance causes remorse …a feeling a sadness that makes us feel guilty for what we have done.  God is the only one who can wash that feeling of guilt away…so the joy we felt when we asked God into our life can be renewed…and we can get back to the business of winning others to his kingdom.

 

God wants us all to react like David when we are confronted by others he sends to tell us about the sin we harbor in our lives.  He wants our heart to be so remorseful that repentance comes quickly.  David went on to write these words in verses 16-17…. “ For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart-- These, O God, You will not despise.”

 

Father …thank you for the reminder that I may have sin in my life that my humanness has justified as okay…and my heart may not have even realized it is a sin.  Help me this morning to listen to the ones you send to me to help uncover this hidden sin…so you can cleanse my life from it…help me forgive myself…and use it to help others change their lives as well. Create this day a new…clean heart in me…and restore the joy that I can only feel when I am being obedient to you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment