Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Our God Is An Awesome God


Psalm 47:1-2 and 6-7 - To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of the sons of Korah. Oh, clap your hands, all you peoples! Shout to God with the voice of triumph!  For the Lord Most High is awesome; He is a great King over all the earth.

Sing praises to God, sing praises! Sing praises to our King, sing praises! For God is the King of all the earth; Sing praises with understanding.

 

The sons of Korah give us some really good advice here.  Sing praises to an awesome God….who reins over everything. Shout to him thanks of victory …in advance….for everything we ask him to do. Then sing more praises to God…till our voices give out…and we have no energy left.

 

Music is one of my favorite things…it ushers in the presence of God to any place we need him to be.  Whether it be a full worship service of gathered believers razing songs of praise….or a single voice singing softly in the privacy of your own home…we need to take the time to sing to God how awesome he is…to remind ourselves of what he has done for us since he saved us.

 

I couldn’t help but think of the Song ….Our God Is An Awesome God…written by Rich Mullins. It is one of my favorites. I can hear the rich hammer dulcimer he played along with the vocals. I will forever remember getting to hear him perform this song before he passed to Heaven. My family got to hear him in concert…barefoot…in jeans and a t-shirt. He was a simple man…just singing praise to the awesome God that had given him salvation.

 

There are probably still some people that believe that shouting and raising the roof in church is inappropriate. Or if one went around their home shouting and singing praise they are crazy. There were these leaders in Jesus day….who rebuked his disciples for shouting praise to Jesus as he rode a simple donkey through the streets to his death. Jesus told them in Luke 19:40…  “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”

 

The truth is that his awesomeness is different for each person he saves. Our stories are unique….but each one shares the love that came down from Heaven to die on a cross and save us on that cross. And since God gave each one of us different personalities….our praise to him will take different forms and levels.  We simply need to take some time out...more than once a day…to tell God in some way how awesome is to us.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder that I need to praise you….from my prayer closet…from my Sunday school room…from the altar of the worship service in my church.  Help me to find words to sing that describe just how awesome you are to the others around me. Thank you for all you have done…and thanks in advance for all you plan to do for me in the future. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment