Sunday, January 26, 2014

Refine Me...And Give Me Strength To Keep My Promises


Psalm 66:10-14 - For you, O God, tested us; you refined us like silver.  You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs.  You let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance.  I will come to your temple with burnt offerings and fulfill my vows to you--  vows my lips promised and my mouth spoke when I was in trouble.

 

This anonymous Psalm has a great lesson for us today….well really there are two. One is a reminder than God allows things in our lives to teach and refine us into better people.  The other is that when we make a promise to him…we need to keep it.

 

As funny as it sounds…I would not trade one bad experience I have had for what I thought I wanted at the time.  All those times that God allowed my circumstances to put me in a rough spot…have actually made me who I am today. The more he allows me to experience in life…the more I can grow closer to him…the stronger he can make me…the more he can use me to help others.When God puts me through the refining process…all the things that prevent me from being who he needs me to be will be removed.

 

I totally understand the promises lesson too. I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who ever asked God for something…and made a vow or promise if he would help us with our request. Those promises we made…we need to keep…like the author of this Psalm….even if God has not answered our plea yet.

 

Numbers 30:2 says… “If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word. He shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.” Or if you are not a strict rules follower…look at it like this. Why should God keep his promise to us…if we break our promise to him?

 

Thank you father for two reminders today.  Thank you for each and every trial you have put in my pathway. Help me to quickly learn the lessons you need me to learn. Remove from my life everything that holds me back from being the brave courageous servant that you need me to me. And God…you know what promises I have made to you…help me to keep them until your timing is complete and you are ready to answer my request. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment