Sunday, January 12, 2014

Rebuke In Love....Not Judge


Psalm 52:1-3 - Why do you boast of evil, O mighty man? The steadfast love of God endures all the day.  Your tongue plots destruction, like a sharp razor, you worker of deceit.  You love evil more than good, and lying more than speaking what is right. Selah  

 

If you go back and read 1 Samuel 22 again…you will see why David’s heart needed to vent and rebuke the power of evil amongst his people. A man named Doeg had taken evil to the next level…and killed 85 of David’s priests….along with their families.

 

There comes a time when tough love is very appropriate…especially when you see that it may destroy someone you care about.  Colossians 3:16 says…. “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and reproving one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” Jesus rebuked the sellers in the temple in Mark 11… and even his own disciples for their lack of faith several times.

 

We have to be very careful though….because there is a fine line between rebuking someone in love…and judging them. Judging someone makes them defensive…and helps them justify their sin for a longer time.  Reproving is done from a stance of love and nurture….it does not blame…it breathes life back into their life and helps them see the way to free themselves from the sin that has trapped them.

 

I am so thankful for the people God has sent to rebuke me when I allow myself to be tricked into sin…or find myself swallowing in self-pity and depression.  When I stop to listen to the words of love and care they bring…I see the sin they are talking about quickly….so God can clean me back up.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder that I am not immune to sin as long as I live in this world you created.  Evil can seep into my heart easier than I think and it will destroy my witness for you if left unchecked.  Thank you for the times that you have sent a loving rebuke through a friend…a sermon…or a quiet time reading the Bible. Thank you for allowing me to stay open minded and receive it so their words could be used to help me see and remove that sin from my life. And God…when I see sin in someone’s life…help me to stop and ask you how you want me to handle it…and be ready to speak out in bold loving words…so you can restore life to the person trapped by sin. Teach me how to speak loving words that nurture and speak new life to their trapped souls….instead of just judging them for what I see wrong. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment