Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What Would Jesus Do?


Psalm 69:5-6 -  You know my folly, O God; my guilt is not hidden from you.  May those who hope in you not be disgraced because of me, O Lord, the LORD Almighty; may those who seek you not be put to shame because of me, O God of Israel.

 

David was spent….he had nothing left but his dignity and honor. He had given all of himself in tears and was emotionally….physically…and mentally broken.  His emptiness caused him to reflect on his own guilt and shame…and he asked God to protect those around him…and keep them from making the same poor decisions he had made.

 

It’s one of our huge responsibilities…once we become a Christian.  We are called to be models of God’s love to others.  We are even told in Mark 9:42 to be very careful that no one stumbles because of decisions we make.  It says… "If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea.”

 

Makes me even more thankful for God’s forgiveness and mercy…for I know in my own life I must have modeled a million times the wrong way to do things. I would definitely be a the bottom of the deepest sea right now if it were not for the love Jesus modeled for me….even to the point of dying for my sins on that cross. It makes me want to be more careful…and pray David’s prayer more often.

 

A few years back a cute acronym surfaced that comes to my mind this morning.  Kids started wearing bracelets with WWJD stamped on them.  It stood for …What would Jesus do? Like many fads of our earthly lives…I don’t see them anymore.  Maybe it’s time for a resurgence of this great reminder…it sure wouldn’t hurt if we thought that each time we had to make a decision.

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that because I say that I love you…I have to model your ways to others all the time. Help me hold myself accountable for the way I act in front of others…and always model for them the way you would have done it.  Stamp WWJD across my heart as a permanent reminder to always ask you what to do in every situation. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment