Thursday, January 9, 2014

Invest Your resources In Others


Psalm 49:5-10 -  Why should I fear when evil days come, when wicked deceivers surround me-- those who trust in their wealth and boast of their great riches?  No man can redeem the life of another or give to God a ransom for him-- the ransom for a life is costly, no payment is ever enough--  that he should live on forever and not see decay.  For all can see that wise men die; the foolish and the senseless alike perish and leave their wealth to others.

 

The psalmist wrote these words from a deep understanding a trust in God.  He was not worried about any evil situation around him.  He lived in a world much like ours…just different fashions of dress and government. We see crime rates rising….poor people suffering in dire circumstances …rich people taking advantage of others less well off…and governments that have put their trust in power and wealth instead of God.

 

He makes the point in this psalm that what wealth we are blessed with in this lifetime is not going to Heaven with us.  So we had better invest what he has given us in others that need God’s love while he has allowed us to be here. No one can use their wealth to buy a spot in Heaven…there is only one way in.  You must declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord…and believe in him with all your heart…like it says in Romans10:9. Verse 10 goes on to say…  “For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.”

 

It is that same transformed heart that begins to see that others are more important than ourselves…and begins to use the great blessings he gives to help others see God’s love.  We stop trying to accumulate wealth…and start channeling the resources he gives us to others in need.  Ecclesiastes 5:12-13 says … “The sleep of the working man is pleasant, whether he eats little or much.  But the full stomach of the rich man does not allow him to sleep.  There is a grievous evil which I have seen under the sun: riches being hoarded by their owner to his hurt.”

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that every blessing you pour upon me is not meant just for me.  Help me to see the needs around me of others…so that I can use what you have given me to help others. Keep my heart always willing to share.  Help me to trust you …like the psalmist….to work everything bad I see around me for a greater purpose. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment